- Beck, J., and Stolterman, E. (invited). Design theory: An interdisciplinary lit review. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation
- Beck, J. and Chiapello, L. (2018) Schön’s intellectual legacy: A citation analysis of DRS publications 2010-2016. Design Studies, 56, 205-224.
- Beck, J., and Stolterman, E. (2017) Examining knowledge claims made in design research. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 2(3), 199-214
- Beck, J. and Stolterman, E. (2016) Examining practical, everyday theory use in design research. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 2(2), 125-140
Peer-reviewed Conference Papers
- Beck, J., and Chiapello, L. (2018). Scholarly critique as a catalyst for community building. DRS 2018: Catalyst, Limerick, Ireland (Best Paper Award Winner)
- Beck, J., and Stolterman, E. (2018). Three arguments about the current state of design process theories. DRS 2018: Catalyst, Limerick, Ireland
- Ward, C., Stolterman, E., and Beck, J. (2018). How emerging technologies influence designing – The case of conversational agents and interaction design. DRS 2018: Catalyst, Limerick, Ireland.
- Carroll, J., Beck, J., Kankane, S., Binda, J., & Gupta, S. (2018) Community data: Towards pervasive participation. 19th Annual International Conference on Digital Government Research (d.go).
- Carroll, J., & Beck, J. (2018). Sharing community data: Platform collectivism for managing water quality. 3rd International Conference on Smart Learning Ecosystems and Regional Developments (SLERD).
- Beck, J., and Ekbia, H. (2018). The theory-practice gap as generative metaphor. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2018. Montreal, QC, CA.
- Maestra, J., MacLeod, H., Connelly, C., Dunbar, J., Beck, J., Siek, K., & Shih, P. Defining through expansion: Conducting ARC research with stigmatized groups. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2018. Montreal, QC, CA
- Beck, J., and Stolterman, E. (2017). Reviewing the big questions literature; or, should HCI have big questions? ACM Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2017. Edinburgh, SCT
- Beck, J. and Chiapello, L. (2016). Schön’s legacy: Examining contemporary citation practices in DRS publications. DRS 2016: Future-focused Thinking, Brighton, England
- Beck, J. and Stolterman, E. (2015). Can there be scientific theories of design that do not scientize design? European Academy of Design 11: The Value of Design Research, Paris, France.
- Sosa-Tsec, O., Beck, J., Siegel, M.A. (2013). Building the narrative cloud. DRS//CUMULUS 2013: 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, Oslo, Norway.
- Siegel, M.A., and Beck, J. (2014) Slow change interaction design: A theoretical sketch. ACM Interactions. 21, 28-35.
- Carroll, J.M., & Beck, J. (2018). Community data hackathons. In CHI2018 Hacking and Making at Time-bounded Events: Current Trends and Next Steps in Research and Event Design
- Lee, S., Beck, J., Wang, X., Rosson, M.B., & Carroll, J. (2018). Remote human assistant technology: Classroom learning technology for children with visual impairments. In CHI2018 Inclusive Education Technologies: Emerging Opportunities in Inclusive Education for People with Visual Impairments
Manuscripts Under Review