This is a current(ish) list of my publications–all of which I’ve written with a great group of collaborators. You can also read my research statement, and check out my researchgate and Google Scholar pages.
- An Inquiry Into Theory Use in HCI Research Jordan Beck. Committee: Erik Stolterman (chair), Barbara Dennis (minor advisor), Elizabeth Boling, Hamid R. Ekbia. It’s open access, so read it here!
Materializing interactions with paper prototyping: A case study of designing social, collaborative systems with older adults Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Chien Wen Yuan, Mary Beth Rosson, Jordan Beck, John M. Carroll. Design Studies, 64, September 2019, 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2019.06.002
- Co-designing platform collectivism John M. Carroll, Jordan Beck. CoDesign, 15(3), July 26 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/15710882.2019.1631353
- Managing conflict in online debate communities: Foregrounding moderators’ beliefs and values on kialo Jordan Beck, Bikalpa Neupane, John M. Carroll. First Monday. 24(7). https://doi.org/10.5210/fm.v24i7.9585
- Talking about interaction* Stuart Reeves, Jordan Beck. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. In Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2019.05.010
- Beyond leaders and followers: Understanding participation dynamics in event-based social networks Jiawei Chen, Xiying Wang, Jordan Beck, John M. Carroll. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2019.1578548
- Schön’s intellectual legacy: A citation analysis of DRS publications (2010-2016) Jordan Beck, Laureline Chiapello. Design Studies, 56, May 2018, 205-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2017.10.005
- Examining knowledge claims made in design research Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 2(3), 199-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2017.02.001
- Examining practical, everyday theory use in design research Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 2(2), 125-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2016.01.010
Peer-reviewed Conference Papers
- Communicating design-related intellectual influence: Towards visual references Jordan Beck, Omar Sosa-Tzec, John M. Carroll. Forthcoming In SIGDOC ’19: ACM Special Interest Group in Document Design Conference Proceedings.
- Context-aware Coproduction: Implications for Recommendation Algorithms Jiawei Chen, Afsaneh Doryab, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Jordan Beck, Xiying Wang, Victoria Bellotti, Anind Dey, John M. Carroll. iConference 2019.
- Turning Points: Motivating Intergenerational Families to Engage on Sustainable Health Information Sharing Jomara Binda, Jordan Beck, Eun Kyoung Choe, John M. Carroll. iConference 2019.
- Scholarly critique as a catalyst for community building Jordan Beck, Laureline Chiapello. Design Research Society (DRS), Limerick 2018. (Best Paper Award Winner)
- Three arguments about the current state of design process theories Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman. Design Research Society (DRS), Limerick 2018.
- How emerging technologies influence designing – The case of conversational agents and interaction design Connor Ward, Erik Stolterman, Jordan Beck. Design Research Society (DRS), Limerick 2018.
- Community Data: Towards Pervasive Participation John M. Carroll, Jordan Beck, Shipi Dhanorkar, Jomara Binda, Srishti Gupta. 19th Annual International Conference on Digital Government Research (d.go) 2018.
- Sharing Community Data: Platform Collectivism for Managing Water Quality John M. Carroll, Jordan Beck. 3rd International Conference on Smart Learning Ecosystems and Regional Developments (SLERD) 2018.
- The Theory-Practice Gap as Generative Metaphor Jordan Beck, Hamid Ekbia ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2018. Paper No. 620. Acceptance rate 26%.
- Defining Through Expansion: Conducting ARC Research With Stigmatized Groups Juan Maestra, Haley MacLeod, Cay Connelly, Julia Dunbar, Jordan Beck, Katie Siek, Patrick Shih. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2018. Paper No. 557. Acceptance rate 26%.
- Reviewing the Big Questions Literature; or, Should HCI Have Big Questions? Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman. ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2017. Acceptance rate 22%.
- Schön’s Legacy: Examining Contemporary Citation Practices in DRS Publications Jordan Beck, Laureline Chiapello. Design Research Society (DRS), Brighton, 2016.
- Can there be Scientific Theories of Design That Do Not Scientize Design? Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman. European Academy of Design, Paris 2015.
- Building the Narrative Cloud Omar Sosa-Tsec, Jordan Beck, Martin A. Siegel. 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, Oslo 2013.
Short Papers, Extended Abstracts, and Interactive Demos
- Exploring Photo Sharing to Engage Intergenerational Families with Health Jomara Binda, Elitza Georgieva, Fanlu Gui, Jordan Beck, John M. Carroll. iConference 2019.
- PhamilyHealth: A Photo Sharing System for Intergenerational Family Collaboration Jomara Binda, Elitza Georgiva, Y. Yang, Fanlu Gui, Jordan Beck, John M. Carroll. ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) 2018.
- Teaching Design for Social Good Jordan Beck. Decipher: Design Educators Research Conference 2018
- Community Data Hackathons John M. Carroll, Jordan Beck. CHI 2018 Workshop Hacking and Making at Time-bounded Events: Current Trends and Next Steps in Research and Event Design.
- Remote Human Assistant Technology: Classroom Learning Technology for Children with Visual Impairments Sooyeon Lee, Jordan Beck, Xiying Wang, Mary Beth Rosson, John M. Carroll. CHI2018 Workshop: Inclusive Education Technologies: Emerging Opportunities in Inclusive Education for People with Visual Impairments workshop.
- Slow Change Interaction Design: A Theoretical Sketch Martin A. Siegel, Jordan Beck. ACM Interactions, 21, 28-35.
- Citation Motivations: Normative and Social Constructivist Perspectives on Citing Jordan Beck, Jomara Sandbulte, Bikalpa Neupane, John M. Carroll.
- Using Theory in Scholarly Communication: A Content Analysis of CHI Conference Best Papers Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman.
- Designing Involves No Given Problem, No Given Process, and No Given Solution Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman.
Under Review (draft manuscripts available)
- A Hierarchical Model of Design Knowledge Sinisa Kolaric, Jordan Beck, Erik Stolterman.
- The Disciplinary Identity of HCI Research: An Investigation Using Configurational Theory Erik Stolterman, Jordan Beck.
- Independence: One Word, Many Meanings for People With Visual Impairments Sooyeon Lee, Jordan Beck, Stacy Branham.
- Water Wisdom: Design Investigations for a Water Quality Data Platform Srishti Gupta, Jordan Beck, John M. Carroll, Shipi Dhanorkar.
- Empowering Community Water Stakeholders With Data John M. Carroll, Jordan Beck, Shipi Dhanorkar, Srishti Gupta.
- Availability Matters for Distance Learners Na Sun, Jordan Beck, Xiying Wang, Mary Beth Rosson.